Pan Con Tomate or Pa amb tomàquet
This is one of the simplest and most delicious tapas I’ve ever tasted. It’s best in the summer when the tomatoes are super ripe. Pan con tomate is also known as Pan tomate and in Catalan Pa amb tomàquet.
Makes 10 tapas
- 1 half-size country baguette, sliced into 10 slices
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 large red tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt
- Toast the bread lightly.
- rub the bread with the clove of garlic and discard.
- Rub the tomato over the bread, squeezing it slightly to get the juice and some pulp on the bread
- drizzle the top with the olive oil and season with a pinch of salt.
If you want to make it year-round, get good canned tomatoes and use the juice from the can, or run the entire contents of the can through a food processor to roughly chop them, and spread a little of that on the bread.